I’ll talk about why I spray glazes in another post, but now, let’s talk about my spray booth. A friend of mine told me the idea of having a curtain of water to catch glaze overspray rather than a fan sucking it out. I thought that sounded brilliant. I started trying to find ideas on Pinterest. I had seen a shower stall cut down, but that seemed like a lot of work and I didn’t know where to find one someone was throwing away. I wasn’t about to buy one and then cut it in half! After brainstorming with a friend, we thought a dishwasher shell might do the trick. Somehow I convinced my husband and son to pick up an old dishwasher in our Prius for my birthday. It was great fun taking it apart, knowing I didn’t have to fix it and put it back together again. I should have kept the lower brackets it rested on, but I got a little over zealous and chucked it before I realized I needed it. Oops.
Next someone gave me an old fountain pump and I tried hooking a drip line. Long story short, not enough pressure to move the water to the top. Got a bigger fountain pump. Not enough pressure to get the water to all the walls. Got a bigger hose. Punctured holes with a needle too. It worked! Started spraying. Holes got plugged with glaze. Got my drill out and made more and bigger holes. Ta-da!
I attached a plastic pan at the bottom and drilled hole for the water to pour out into the bucket below with the pump where it goes back up into the system again.
I still need to build better legs for it and I’d like add some kind of filter in the pan before the water pours down to the bucket to clean the water a bit. It’s a work in progress, but for now, it’s a great way to spray.